This post is about the seventh of seven principles of magic that were laid out in The Kybalion. You may wish to read the principles of correspondence, mentalism, vibration, cause and effect, and polarity.
The Kybalion, purportedly based upon ancient Hermeticism, was first published in 1908. The Kybalion itself claims to have influenced all major religions and philosophies, both ancient and modern.
The Principle of Rhythm
“everything flows, out and in; everything has its tides”
So we know everything vibrates because of the Principle of Vibration. The Principle of Rhythm tells us that these vibrations are not random. Everything in this world has an order. In nature we see rhythm in the changes of season, the phases of the lunar cycle, the beats of a heart, the stages of development, and countless other patterns.
To get a better understanding of how The Principle of Rhythm works, think about a pendulum. A pendulum swings to the right, and then it swings back to the left. It keeps swinging like this, back and forth, back and forth, in rhythm Without friction, the pendulum will go on swinging, infinitely.
The energy in the universe is like a pendulum: swaying, flowing, swinging back and forth. Everything is either growing or dying.
One of the main ways you can utilize the Principle of Rhythm in your witchcraft is through following the lunar cycle. The phases of the moon indicate times that are more beneficial than others for certain types of spells. At a later date, we will discuss the moon in much more detail. Here are some moon phase associations:
- The New Moon: reflect, expand your consciousness, learn about your shadow self, work with your subconscious, dream work, let go of fears, change something radically, renew
- The Waxing Moon: bless something you wanna start, to increase health, to increase success, to increase wealth
- The Full Moon: health, success, charging/consecrating objects, rituals in general, wealth, heart’s desire
- The Waning Moon: get rid of a bad habit or sickness/disease, remove obstacles, finish something, banish
Thinking about what you want from your life. If you haven't already, you may wish to read Know Thyself, What is a Witch? before continuing. You'll also want to reflect on the other principles of magic: correspondence, mentalism, vibration, cause and effect, and polarity.
To keep your thoughts organized, take a sheet of paper and fold it in half to create two columns. Title the first column, “Future Spells” and the second column, “Moon Phase”. Or—better yet—you can download a printable worksheet... for FREE. Just scroll, down, sign up, and get to work!
Think of types of spells you might cast to achieve your goals. Assign a phase of the moon to each item as a road map for when you want to cast these spells.
The Sabbats are also very powerful times of the year to plan your magical workings by. Here are the associations:
- Mabon: balance, reflection, offerings, finishing up projects, rest, relaxation, gratitude
- Samhain: communicating with the dead, divination and scrying, past-life recall, inner-work, transformation
- Yule: new beginnings of any sort, beauty, health, personal improvement, new employment, peace, love, spirituality, prosperity, positive energy
- Imbolc: fertility, weather magic, divination, healing, reconnecting, manifesting desires, casting away destructive or old patterns, opening yourself to positive enlightenment, elebrating the strengthening, renewal of self
- Ostara: renewal, regeneration, fertility, balance, harmony, chakras, polarities, careers, relationships, love, plant new ideas, free yourself from anything in the past that is holding you back
- Beltane: fertility, life, creativity, healing, self-discovery, love, union, developing personal growth, goal achievement
- Litha: ALL KINDS OF MAGIC, artistic projects, love, romance, fertility, psychic abilities, making decisions, healing, guidance, completion spells, purification, fertility, protection, empowerment, bravery, strength, overcoming
- Lughnasadh: crafts, skills, let go of injustices, hate and regret so you can move forward, new beginnings
As a reminder, you are the most important part of your craft. You can cast a spell at any time and your will alone can bring it into being. The phases of the moon (and other tools we will look at later) can bring more power and energy to your spells, which may make them work faster.
Ready to get started? Use the form below to access the members section of Mumbles & Things and download my FREE worksheet and get to work on understanding this principle! (PS continue your journey of learning by reading introduction to magic next) Save your worksheet as a plan for your future spells. I know, it’s starting to feel like real magic, isn’t it? You can feel it can’t you, it’s about to get really, really good.
Tell me about your experiences and perspectives on the Mumbles and Things Facebook page or comment below.