►►► Uhm… What the french toast are Chakras?
Have you ever complained about tiredness, or relationship issues, or well… anything really? If you said no, unless you are some perfect angel human, I don’t believe you. But if you said yes, I would tell you your chakras are out of whack. You can laugh in my face, you can roll your eyes, or you can just go get those doggone chakras balanced.
►►► But what are they?
Chakras, simply put (very simply put) are energy centers throughout your body. Chakra is the Sanskrit word for wheel. Each chakra can be visualized as a spinning whirl where energy flows in a spiraling vortex.
There are seven main chakras in your body. What are they? Working from the top, down:
Seventh Chakra: Crown Chakra
- Sanskrit: Sahasrara
- Affirmation: “I am one with my higher self and one with the Divine.”
- Purpose: Cognition, our connection and to spirituality and higher self/life/purpose
- Location: Top/center of the head
- Color: Violet/white
- Element: Thought
- Crystals: Clear quartz, diamond, Herkimer diamond, lepidolite, moonstone, sugilite, amethyst, sapphire
- Essential Oils: Francincense, helichrysum, lemon, melissa, chamomile, rosemary, sandalwood
Sixth Chakra: Third Eye Chakra
- Sanskrit: Ajna
- Affirmation: “I am tuned into the Divine to follow the path towards my purpose.”
- Purpose: Intuition/imagination/wisdom/ability to think and make decisions
- Location: Middle of forehead: between the eyes, above the base of the nose, slightly higher than brow line
- Color: Indigo
- Element: Light
- Crystals: Amethyst, blue quartz, charoite, lepidolite, purple flourite, sodalite, sugilite, lapis lazuli
- Essential Oils: Clary sage, lemongrass
Fifth Chakra: Throat Chakra
- Sanskrit: Vishuddha
- Affirmation: “I am speaking clearly and truthfully with grace and ease.”
- Purpose: Communication/self-expression of feelings, speaking the truth, holding secrets
- Location: Center of throat/neck
- Color: Blue
- Element: Ether/sound
- Crystals: Angelite, apatite, aquamarine, celestine, blue lace agate, sodalite, lapis lazuli, turquoise
- Essential Oils: Birch, lavender, oregano
Fourth Chakra: Heart Chakra
- Sanskrit: Anahata
- Affirmation: “I am giving and receiving love effortlessly and unconditionally.”
- Purpose: Love, joy, inner peace
- Location: Heart region
- Color: Green
- Element: Air
- Crystals: Amazonite, chrysocolla, chrysoprase, emerald rose quartz, green aventurine
- Essential Oils: Eucalyptus, geranium, lime, marjoram, melaleuca, peppermint, rose, thyme, ylang ylang
Third Chakra: Solar Plexus Chakra
- Sanskrit: Manipura
- Affirmation: “I am powerful, confident and successful in all my ventures.”
- Purpose: Power, self-worth, self-confidence, self-esteem
- Location: Slightly above the navel
- Color: Yellow
- Element: Fire
- Crystals: Amber, golden topaz, sunstone, citrine, yellow calcite
- Essential Oils: Bergamont, cassia, clove, coriander, fennel, ginger, grapefruit, juniper berry, wintergreen
Second Chakra: Sacral Chakra
- Sanskrit: Svadhistana
- Affirmation: “I am authentically creating a life free of stress and full of bliss.”
- Purpose: Authentic creation, creator, soul fire, sexuality
- Location: Slightly below the navel
- Color: Orange
- Element: Water
- Crystals: Carnelian, citrine, orange calcite, orange carneline, fire opal
- Essential Oils: Black pepper, cinnamon, cypress, tangerine, orange
First Chakra: Root Chakra
- Sanskrit: Muladhara
- Affirmation: “I am a divine being of light. I am peaceful, protected, and secure.”
- Purpose: Survival, security, stability
- Location: Base of spine
- Color: Red
- Element: Earth
- Crystals: Bloodstone, garnet, ruby, jasper
- Essential Oils: Basil, cedarwood, myrrh, patchouli, vetiver, white fir
I often shy away from recommending the use of chakra meditation to help solve the problems my friends and family complain about. I'm afraid they'll think it's too "woo woo" and therefore I must have gone off the deep end. Unfortunately, many of these ancient energy work practices (chakra healing has been used since 1500 BC!) are not considered viable medicine for the human body. Western culture does not put great emphasis on mental health but slowly, practices like meditation and yoga are becoming more and more accepted and common place. YAY!
►►► Why do I care about this?
Energy Work is the basis of many alternative healing techniques. Ayurvedic medicine, crystal therapy, Reiki and traditional Chinese medicine all involve energy work. Energy work can also be found in some religious and spiritual beliefs such as Hinduism and Buddhism. It is at the core of Feng Shui and considered an integral part of yoga (Kundalini and Anusara yoga in particular).
Throughout the world, different cultures deal with energy work. The term for energy may differ (Chinese chi, Japanese ki, Greek pneuma, Indian prana, etc.) but wherever you are, the idea remains the same. Energy work is the manipulation of the energy which flows through all living things, also known as life force energy.
For centuries, people have balanced their chakras in order to feel grounded, passionate, confident, loving, expressive, creative and spiritual. Modern humans have just as much or even more stress and chaos interrupting our lives making it easy for chakras to become blocked. You can heal yourself by connecting your body, mind and spirit to your energy. With unblocked chakras and freely flowing energy you can live your healthiest, most joyous life.
If you can understand this you can understand why people consider it important to work with their chakras. By healing and balancing our chakras we are actively working toward healing and balancing ourselves on every level. When you complain about being tired or a problem in your relationship or anything else you can discover the deeper issue that could be causing these surface challenges.
►►► How can I start healing my Chakras?
- Chakra meditations like this one:
- Yoga: did you know... many yoga poses are designed to cleanse the chakras?
- Crown: Silence - shhhh
- Third Eye: Om
- Throat: Ham
- Heart: Yam
- Solar Plexus: Ram
- Sacral: Vam
- Root: Lam
- Crystals corresponding to each chakras
▹ ▹ ▹ Check back for future posts in the chakra healing series.
Do You Practice Chakra Healing? Tell Me About It In A Comment Below Or Share It On The Mumbles & Things Facebook Page.